The Blessed Hope
Sunday Morning Message by our Worship Pastor Anthony Counts
The Blessed Hope
I John 2:28-3:3
- Hope is a fundamental Biblical principle that is often ignored or minimized.
- It is only through hope that we are able to have a true and correct perspective as we face the adversities of life.
- It is only through hope that we have an understanding of the life to come.
- Hope introduces life and happiness into our sin-stained and death-filled world.
Contrasting Biblical hope with the world’s hope:
- The world has no anchor.
- The world looks for hope in superficial things.
- All these things are mirages.
Ephesians 2:12, Romans 8:22-25
- Biblical hope is not a wish list.
- Biblical hope is an absolute future reality guaranteed by the Lord.
Why is it that the present experience we walk in cannot compare to the blessed eternal experience we hope for?
- In this life, we have continuing battles against sin.
- Much of our troubles in this life are the result of the fallen world we live in.
On the positive side, in this life we enjoy:
- God’s forgiveness.
- The indwelling Spirit and spiritual fruit.
- Evidence of answered prayer.
1 John 5:14-15
- Spiritual opportunities.
Psalms 123:1, Psalms 34:3, 2 Corinthians 8:3-4
To be with Christ in heaven will be better than walking with Christ now! Why?
- The absence of spiritual battles in heaven.
2 Timothy 2:10
- The gift of the glorified body prepared by God.
- The realization of a glorious eternity prepared for God’s children.
The scriptural theology of hope includes the following:
- God’s promises of care.
1 Peter 5:6-7
- Divine protection.
- God’s guidance.
- Divine sustenance.
10 Things we have with Christ as our Hope
- Our Hope is Sure
- Our Hope is a Gift
- Our Hope is Revealed in Scripture
- Our Hope is Reasonable
- Our Hope is Secured by the Resurrection of Christ
- Our Hope is Confirmed by the Spirit
- Our Hope is Defends the Saints
- Our Hope is Confirmed through Trials
- Our Hope is the Source of Joy & Blessing
- Our Hope Removes the Fear of Death
1 Corinthians 15:54-57